A Campus librarian confirmed on Wednesday that UJ will be extending the operating hours of its libraries and providing students with more study areas during the final exam period.
Space is limited in the campus libraries during the exam period. Hence, every year the University comes up with strategies to ensure that all students have enough time and space to prepare for their exams.
“Opening the library [for more hours] during the exam time and other venues has been a historical act,” said Santha Geduld, APK’s Campus Librarian. “So, we recognise that students need extra study space, but the 24-hours study area is not big enough for this need.”
On Saturdays, the UJ libraries will be open from 08:00 to 18:00. This arrangement will be applicable on the 4th, the 11th, the 18th and the 25th of November.
“During the exam period, we provide extra study hours for students because we realised that not all of our students have a quiet place to study at home; therefore, we make provisions for them,” said Ms Alrina De Bruyn, the Director of APK and SWC Libraries.
Certain lecture halls will be used as extra study areas. “The venues will be G01 and G02 on the APK campus, which are made available to the students and the student will use it as he/she desires,” Geduld said.
Additional study areas
The additional study areas on all four campuses will be operational from the 4th to the 28th of November. The venues on each campus are as follow:
Auckland Park Bunting Campus (APB)
- F Purple 05 will be open only when the Library 24-hour study area is full.
- F Purple 07 will be open only when the Library 24-hour study area is full.
- K Block (APB) will be open at all times.
Auckland Park Kingsway Campus (APK)
- APK A Les G01 will be open from 10pm and close at 5am the next day
- APK A Les G02 will be open from 10pm and close at 5am the next day
Doornfontein Campus (DFC)
- Lwazi Lecture Room 102-106 will be open from 10pm and close at 5am the next day
- Lwazi Lecture Room G01-G08 will be open from 10pm and close at 5am the next day
Soweto Campus (SWC)
- T W Kambule Room A2 will be open from 7pm to 6am the next day
- T W Kambule Room A3 will be open from 7pm to 6am the next day
Campus Librarians have negotiated with the security division of the University to offer a safe studying environment to students who will be studying in these, Geduld said.
The study break begins on Saturday 4th of November and ends on Friday the 10th of November. The end of year examinations will begin on Saturday the 11th of November and end on Tuesday the 28th of November.